In our Rubaroo knowledge sharing series, please watch Sharmila share her story about her son, Takshith, who was diagnosed with Autism.
Key takeaway to bear in mind,
- Observe your child’s developmental milestones
- Know what to expect at every age across all developmental domains.
- Seek help as soon as you feel something is not right with your child’s development – Do not hesitate to seek guidance from an expert even if you have a hunch. Act on it!
- Seek medical opinion & intervene as early as possible, as it can make a big difference to your child’s health in the long-term.
- Asking for a firm diagnosis is your right as a parent. Diagnosis is crucial as it will serve as a guide to identify core developmental areas in your child that require extra care and support, thus allowing you to intervene most appropriately.
- Construct a road-map for your child’s development and set goals customized to your child’s needs, together with the expert (Pediatrician/Therapists)
- Do not be misguided by therapies that have no scientific evidence.
- Therapy time is not restricted to the doctor’s clinic, therapy centre or school. Home intervention is a valuable resource for your child’s health. Combining home, therapy/medical and academic intervention will ensure the child experiences holistic support and care.
- Take care of yourself while taking care of your child.
- Engage the entire family in your child’s life.
- Interact with other parents who are on the same journey and discuss your fears and queries openly. Seek help without hesitation.
Knowledge is power, community is strength and positive attitude is everything (Lance Armstrong)
Check out other parent champions who talk about their child’s journey while sharing their valuable learning gathered through their inspiring tales.
DISCLAIMER: Please note that this guide is for information purposes only. Please consult a qualified health practitioner to understand safe management.
We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude to all the parent champions who invested their time and effort by sharing their inspiring story and invaluable experience with the wider parent community.